Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Teach For America info Webinar -- live!

As I write this, I'm watching and listening to a Teach For America info Webinar. It's kind of like the NYCTF info session I went to last week, but over the web.

A few things that stick out.

First, Teach for America people are a little bit cult-ey when they talk about themselves. They keep talking about their "mission" and its importance and such. Borders on the creepy.

Second, there is ZERO good information being given here. They've giving a broad, basic outline of the program, and a walk-thru of the online application process. Really, nothing that isn't easily available on their website. I suppose I said much the same thing about the NYCTF info session ... but this is, perhaps, a little worse.

I actually think they SHOULDN'T explain how to fill out the application -- at all. It can be an additional filtering mechanism, pushing aside any dunder-heads who can't quite figure it out.

1 comments:

Jovan said...

I have a few co-workers and good friends who went through the TFA program.

It isn't as cult-ish as some of the recruiters would lead you to believe.

It's actually an awesome way to get your foot in the door if you're transitioning from another career ( which I think you are )

I'm alternatively certified myself. I went through a program called Atlanta PLUS to become a teacher.

I'll be done with my certification requirements in a few months.

I wish you the best of luck.


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger