Monday, December 15, 2008

LAST exam, quick review.

I took the LAST exam (one of the first NYC teacher certification requirements) this past weekend. It's a general knowledge and general analytical skills assessment test. There's really no way to study or prepare for it -- maybe other than simply looking at a sample exam up on the state's website. It really could be described as a "making sure you're not a moron" test, which I suppose is not that bad to have.

It consists of 80 multiple-choice questions and a 300-600 word essay, for which you're given 4 hours, which is WAY too much time. I'm completely anal about taing standardized tests and check/re-check my answers a ton, and I was out of there in just over 2hrs. Again, if you're on the road to teaching in New York, you'll need to take this exam, but it's a fruitless endevour to fret or at all concern yourself with this test. If you can pass it, you're fine -- and if you can't, there' really no way of changing that -- other than boning up on ALL OF KNOWLEDGE ... 8)

Of course, I'm really hoping that I wasn't pushing on fate to have taken this certification exam before getting into either the New York Teaching Fellows program or Teach for America. Ugh.

Now, it's just a waiting game -- about a month to go before I should hear from both.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious. I have an interview for the NYC teaching fellows.

Any comments on the Math and writing assessment test, or what's the most difficult part of the interview process.

How did it go for you?

Thanks
(Shaun Smith)

jen (yup, nyc fellow) said...

Thought I would share with you a few of the people that took the LAST the same day I did (2007- yes, I passed and also took the CST the same day. Could have taken BOTH tests in the time allowed for one.)

So, on to the moron screening:
A woman screaming at the people at the front insisting that she doesn't have to turn her phone in to "nobody".
Several test takers that took the entire test in PEN.
(Due to the pen-people - the afternoon test started 30 minutes late because the proctors didn't know what to do about it)
Overhearing people talk about the fact that it was their 3rd or 4th time taking this test...


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger